Join United Methodists around the world as we come together to hoop our way to health!
Hulapalooza is a joyful celebration of healthy living centered on a hula-hoop theme. It can be adapted to fit the needs, schedule, missional focus and volunteer availability of any local church.
John Wesley was a strong proponent of preventive care and healthy living, so Methodism has a long history of engaging in ministry that supports mind, body and spirit.
The event is a great opportunity to:
- Build stronger bonds among congregants
- Reach out to people who are seeking connection with a faith community
- Provide everyone (all ages, abilities and backgrounds) a chance to fulfill a common need: to find fun ways to invest in their overall health
- Boost awareness and support of health-related missional opportunities and community needs
- Celebrate the health ministries that you already have, or help launch a new ministry
- Encourage greater appreciation for healthy living and the church’s role in supporting holistic well-being
There are many ways to host a Hulapalooza, and it is up to you to decide when you have it and how elaborate or simple you want it to be. Your event might involve worship, a Bible study, group hula-hooping competitions, arts and crafts, a health fair, music, games for kids, and more!
Do you plan to host a Hulapalooza?
Please let us know by completing our Abundant Health form. Then, explore the below kit of free resources designed to assist church leaders in planning and hosting a Hulapalooza.
Download the entire Hulapalooza leader’s kit or download individual files. Before you begin, please read this instruction guide so you know how to use the below resources.
- Hulapalooza planning guide
- Circle of Care Health Fair planning guide
- Registration information (photo and medical release forms)
- Well-Rounded Potluck recipes
- Post-event survey
Artwork & graphics
- PowerPoint slides
- Poster – 24×36 inches
- Poster – 11×17 inches
- T-shirt artwork – Front and Back
- Event graphic – with border
- Event graphic – without border
- Banner – 3×6 feet
- Banner – 4×8 feet
- Yard sign – 18×24 inches
How-to guides & activities
- How to Hoop video
- Hula-hoop building: Make your own hoops!
- Hoop game: Four Square
- Hoop game: Hopscotch
- Hoop game: Unbroken Chain
- Hoop game: Rabbit Hole
- Hoop game: Relay
- Hoop art project: Dream Catcher
- Hoop art project: Mobile
- Hoop art project: Woven Hoop
- Body Prayer
- Abundant Health game with John Wesley
- Small group study – coming soon
- Social media posts & ideas – coming soon
- Press release template
- Suggested promotional messages (for internal and external audiences)
Have questions? Contact us!